The library's genealogy room contains :
- Microfilm of the Cherokee newspapers from 1870s to the present.
- School yearbooks for Cherokee Schools
- County history books
- County atlas and plat books
- Cherokee phone books and city directories
- Centennial books for towns within Cherokee County.
- Iowa genealogical history books
- Federal genealogical history books
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) lineage books
- Passenger and immigration lists indexes and supplements
Adjacent to the library's genealogy room is the Cherokee Area Archives. The Archives is staffed by volunteers and is open Monday-Friday from 1:30pm-4pm or by appointment. Their collection includes family histories, an obituary file, cemetery records, copies of marriage records, and information about buildings and businesses, a wonderful selection of historical photographs and many other sources for genealogical research. We recommend that all family history searches and other similar requests be directed to this organization. They may be contacted at the library's phone number 712-225-3498 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.