The Cherokee Public Library offers meeting rooms for individuals, community organizations, and those that wish to provide an open forum for knowledge, ideas, and cultural enrichment.
Patrons using the Library meeting rooms must sign the Meeting Room Agreement.
- Library functions always have first priority for use of the facilities.
- Tutoring Room (Youth Department) can accommodate up to 10 people.
- The Upstairs Meeting Room (Youth Activity Room) can accommodate up to 50 people.
- The Lower Level Meeting Room can accommodate up to 50 people.
- The actual number of people in either meeting room may vary with additional room needed for a speaker and different table and chair arrangements.
- The library does not charge a fee for meeting room use, except for:
- Room set-up charge ($25.00)
- Damaged property (cost based on damages)
- Excessive clean-up fee ($25.00)
- *Commercial/For profit groups ($25.00/4 hours; $50/ 8 hours; 9 or more hours $75.00)
- Fee waivers or reductions may be made at the discretion of the Library Director.
- The meeting rooms are available from:
- 10:00am – 7:45 p.m. Monday and Thursday
- 10:00am – 5:45 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday
- 10:00am – 4:45 p.m. on Friday
- 10:00am – 1:45 p.m. on Saturday
- Any after-hours use requires special permission and arrangements must be made through the Director. A donation is requested for any after-hours use.
- Groups should be aware that the library has limited parking.
- Use of the library meeting rooms does not constitute an endorsement by the library of the philosophies, practices or viewpoints of the meeting participants.
Rules and Requirements
- All bookings must have full contact information including Name, Organization (if applicable), address, phone number, and email address.
- All meetings held in the meeting rooms must be free of charge.
- Fundraising of any kind is expressly prohibited
- No personal information may be gathered about attendees without their permission.
- Admission or membership fees or the purchase of any item as a condition for attending the meeting are not allowed. Contributions cannot be solicited.
- Groups allowed to use the rooms free of charge* include:
- Non-profit corporations – defined as those entities granted tax-exempt status by the IRS under section 501(c)(3) or other tax exempt sections of the Internal Revenue Code
- Candidate campaign committees – as defined in Iowa Code §68A.102(5)
- Political committees – as defined by Iowa Code §68A.102(18)
- Non-profit citizen’s groups (book groups, scouts, civic organizations, etc.)
- Governmental subdivisions – or a department/division/bureau of a governmental subdivision
- Individuals using the room for study, tutoring, or needing private, quiet space.
- The room must be put back to the original arrangement and vacated 15 minutes before closing time.
- If a special room arrangement is required, a set-up fee of $25.00 will be assessed.
- Library staff will give directions to the rooms, but cannot act as a receptionist for persons and attendees using the meeting room/study rooms, such as taking calls, etc.
- Library personnel must have access to the meeting room/ study room/study rooms at all times and the library retains the right to monitor all meetings on library premises (Blinds must remain opened and doors must remain unlocked during use)
- Smoking & alcoholic beverages are not permitted.
- Any group which fails to leave the room in a satisfactory condition (ex: leaves extensive mess on the floors, or damages to premises) may be billed for the cost of repairs and/or cleaning fee ($25.00) and may not be allowed to use a meeting room in the future.
- Groups doing craft projects must take measures to ensure that the tables, chairs and floors are left neat & clean or a $25.00 fee will be charged (or possible replacement fee will be charged).
- All groups must abide by the Library Code of Conduct.
- The library is a shared community space. Loud talking or other loud sources of noise are not allowed to extend beyond the meeting room. CD players, microphones, and other electronic devices may be used, but the sound must be contained within the meeting room and not disturb the other library patrons.
- Groups wishing to exhibit, perform, duplicate, or distribute any copyrighted work in the library (print or non-print) must secure a license or permission to do so. (Example: handouts with copyrighted images, showing of feature films, etc.)
- Groups must comply with the “Americans with Disabilities Act” and each group is responsible for providing qualified interpreters or auxiliary aids, if requested. The user assumes the cost of reasonable accommodations.
- Reservations must be made by an adult (18 years or older) who will be held responsible for any damage incurred to the building or equipment, for restoring the room to its original condition and arrangement, and maintaining control of children/minors who are attending the meeting. Failure to comply with these requirements may result in denial for future use of meeting rooms. Please notify library staff of any damages, spills, or maintenance-related issues before leaving.
- Students under the age of 18 will be allowed to use the Tutoring Room for study or group projects.
- Groups using the meeting room/ study room should not leave children or vulnerable adults unsupervised in the room or in the main library per the library’s safe child/vulnerable adult policy.
- The library is not responsible for the loss or damage of private property or for any accidents that may occur.
Room availability is at the discretion of the Library Director. The Cherokee Public Library reserves the right to cancel any scheduled activity when circumstances warrant such measures.
Reserving a Room
- Requests may be made over the phone (225-3498) or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rooms may also be used at any time if no one has a reservation.
- Confirmation will be sent to those who reserve rooms via email.
- Rooms may be reserved up to three months in advance.
- Cancellations should be made 24 hours before the start of the room rental
- Meeting Room agreement must be signed and on file before booking a room